Wednesday, March 9, 2016

DIY Deodorant

One of the biggest health changes I have made this year is switching out my deodorant.  I am a sweater.  Always have been.  And I love to exercise.  There were days that I'd reapply deodorant a few times through the day, depending on how many times I'd end up in the shower! I have always used store-bought deodorant. I've always known that these items are loaded with chemicals, and applying them right over a big bundle of lymph nodes makes me wonder what on earth I am doing to myself. But vanity always won.  I didn't want to be "that lady" with the ugly wet armpits.

We have been raised with the mentality that sweating is gross, especially for women.  I will admit that it might not look the best sometimes, but we need an attitude shift. Sweating is the bodies natural process to eliminate toxins from the body.  By blocking this process with chemicals, we are not only plugging up our bodies ability to regulate itself, but we are also smearing more toxins onto (and then into) our bodies.
 
Aluminum, parabens, propylene glycol, phthalates and Triclosan are just a few common ingredients in antiperspirants and deodorants.  These items can be hormone disruptors, carcinogens, or hard on the different systems of the body.

I have tried deodorants from health food stores, with varying degrees of success.  I find most of them left me stinky by the end of the day.  Now unsightly wetness under the arms is one thing, but stinky pits is just plain unacceptable!

Then I found therapeutic grade essential oils, and a great recipe for DIY deodorant, and I am hooked!  What a difference.  I did purchase some fancy deodorant containers to put it in, but then switched to using a tin, and it is so easy just to dip a finger in, rub a little into the underarm area, and voila!  I have been using my DIY deodorant for a number of months now, and I actually don't sweat as much as I used to.  Weird, but maybe my body just doesn't have to work so hard now to get the toxins out through the layer of aluminum and other barriers I inundated it with.  I don't know, but it works for me - give it a try and let me know if it works for you too!

Here is the recipe I have been using:

1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup arrowroot powder
1/4 cup coconut oil (solid)
2 drops vitamin E serum (optional)
6-10 drops Tea Tree essential oil
6-10 drops Purification essential oil

Simply heat first 3 ingredients over low heat until dissolved.  Remove from heat, stir in Vitamin E, and essential oils, and then pour into deodorant containers or a tin or jar.

For a more feminine scent, you can add Geranium, Lavender, Joy or Pettitgrain essential oils instead of the ones listed above.

This takes minutes to make, and knowing that you are not putting chemicals into your underarm area will be worth it.  Please make sure that you are using high quality essential oils.  The brand I trust is Young Living.  If you are interested in learning more about this brand, you can check it out here.

Please note, some people can react to baking soda, or have sensitivities to essential oils. Do a spot test before making a big batch if you are concerned. If rash or irritation occurs, try either cutting the amount of baking soda, increasing the vitamin E, using different oils.  You don't need much, so you can also try using just a tiny bit and see if that helps. If irritation persists then definitely stop using the product. There are also other recipes out there, some including Shea Butter, so search around until you find a recipe that works for you.


Disclaimer: the information contained in this post in not intended to treat, cure, diagnose or prevent any disease or illness. Please seek the advice of your medical professional if you think you have a medical condition. The author of this blog is not liable for any misconception or misuse of the information provided.

1 comment:

Karen Bannister said...

I love this recipe! I have been using natural deodorants for a while, and like you, with varying degrees of success. The one I use now is great but I love the idea of making my own (less packaging waste). Thanks for sharing!